Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Homemade Ginger Ale/Beer

Recently saw this post on the blog: Crunchy Betty for how to make (click here) Homemade Ginger Ale/Beer, & I had all the ingredients so I thought, why not?

Here is the recipe:
1-1/2 to 2 cups of ginger (depending on how spicy you want it), grated or finely chopped
2 cups of organic, unrefined sugar
2 quarts of boiling water
Juice from 2 lemons (I did 3 limes)
1 tsp yeast

In a large plastic or other breathable container, combine the ginger, sugar, and boiling water. Stir or shake well to dissolve the sugar. Add in the juice of two lemons and stir or shake again. Allow this mixture to cool to lukewarm temperature, about an hour. Add in yeast. Stir or shake again.

{ I weighed water on a scale to get exact weight, then I poured into a stainless steel heavy sauce pan, weighed the sugar and dissolved in water once it came to a boil and added juice of limes. I removed from heat and added a candy thermometer so once the water reached 80-90 degrees, the temp I use water at when I bake, I added 1 tsp of red star yeast and poured into a plastic BPA free container with loose fitting lid and followed as directed}

Cover lightly and leave alone for 24 hours. Strain the ginger from the mixture and enjoy! Keeps in the fridge for up to a week. Best enjoyed within a few days, for that kicky gingery taste. (Remember, putting it in the fridge stops the fermentation process, so it’s a vital step.) If you want to go about this a completely different way, don’t forget about water kefir!
 ~~~~~~~
 I changed this  bit by adding Limes, I LOVE limes and didn't have 1 & 1/2 C of ginger I only had about 3/4-1 C, so this wasn't as strong  and once the 24 hours was up I added a bit of carbonated lime water. After a few sips I really like it, but at first Jim and I thought this was a bit too odd tasting, but after I added some ice cubes, fresh limes slices, and a splash of lime water, yummy! Bought 3 knobs of fresh ginger so I have plenty ginger to make this again, plus the ginger is so good for you!

On glass 2 and it is super yummy with lots of ice cubes, splash of carbonated lime water and lime wedges!! Give it a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment