Just the mention of it and I get all nostalgic and stuff remembering my wedding day and the BEST cabbage rolls I ever ate!!
I never did get the recipe from the caterer,but I did find this recipe and tweaked it a bit,and it tastes just like I remember!
- 1 Cabbage Head
- 1 Lb uncooked 80% Lean Ground Beef
- 1 C uncooked rice
- 16 Oz Tomato Puree
- 1 T Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 T Brown Sugar
- 2 t Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fill Large Stock Pot half way with water and allow to come to full boil
- Salt water
- Turn off heat & add Cabbage head leaf side down
- Allow to boil until leaves are more pliable but not too limp
- Drain leaf side down in a colander in sink until cool enough to handle
- Meanwhile combine tomato puree with Worcestershire Sauce, Br. Sugar, Lemon Juice, and S&P in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Then combine uncooked ground beef with uncooked rice in a large bowl and set aside.
- After Cabbage head is cool enough to handle gently peel outside layers, being careful not to rip the leaves
- Should have 12-18 good size leaves from a medium head of cabbage
- Take 1/3C of beef filling and lay in the center of a cabbage leaf. Roll short sides in so they lay on top of part of the filling
- Then roll one of the long sides to meet the other, like a burrito and set aside on a platter. Continue until you have all filling used up.
Crock Pot Instructions:
- Layer 1/2 of sauce in bottom of crock pot that has been thoroughly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
- Then layer rolls gently on top of sauce until you have all the rolls in the slow cooker.
- Pour remainder of sauce over the rolls and set slow cooker to low.
- Allow to cook without lifting the lid for 6-8 hours.
Sooo good! I have tried making this in the oven,and I really don't like it.
This is soo good and not as time consuming as it might appear on paper so to speak.
I hope you make some tonight!!