Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Teach Me Tuesdays: DIY Conditioners & Deep Conditioning Recipes

Why do we condition hair- have you ever thought why? Or did you just wash your hair twice with a bubbly shampoo like the label tells us, then are left with such a tangled mess, scoop a HUGE glob of conditioner smothering your hair hoping the results would be a shinny and manageable mane like the commercials show us?


Picture Credit
The natural oil our hair possesses and needs gets stripped in the process of removing daily dirt and grime-conditioners restore the PH balance in our hair to its optimal level of 5.6 on the acidic scale. 


 But with all types of synthetic chemicals- 
what are we sacrificing?


Though I am still struggling with the "No-Poo Method" of cleansing my hair, it is a tanglely mess, not shinny, dull looking and doesn't feel good- I am pressing forward with this

However, keep in mind I have underwent 5 major surgeries, been on life support for 9 days, then in the ICU for 13 days, have been admitted to the hospital for a total of 60 plus days ALL in the past 2 years. I am currently still recuperating from the last surgery that was 6 months ago & still wearing a wound vacuum. 

Soooooo needless to say my body is so stressed and I am loosing my hair by the handfuls, even with the best professional shampoo & conditioner I was not seeing the bouncy and shiny hair I was used to {With 20 years in the salon business I have access to the best available}... Right now, I am just trying to rid my body of as much chemicals and toxins as I can. 

I am going to hang in there and try this for a few more weeks/month(s), even if I am just detoxing. What I have found to work the best for me lately (As of 11/20/12) is: 




  1. Cleanse with the "No Poo Method" of choice found here 
  2. Use one of the PH balancing rinse formulas below.
  3. If you need more detangling or smoothing- use the conditioner formula of choice below as often as needed.*(Mainly because of the hair loss and my body's response to all the chemicals & healing I have gone through. I am using the glycerine & rhassoul clay conditioners every time)
 Here are a few rinses I am trying:
  1. Apple cider vinegar. Apply (I use a spray bottle to concentrate o
    Picture Credit
    n ends of hair) after shampooing, then rinse.
  2. Coffee grounds. Massage into hair to exfoliate. Rinse thoroughly.
  3. Lemon juice. Squeeze fresh lemon into jar, or boil and strain. Apply and rinse.
This site offers a short video discussing the pH-restoring benefits found in lemon juice, coffee grounds, and apple cider vinegar.

The following is more conditioning:
  1. Glycerin conditioner: {I am trying this one because of the tangling issues}
    • 5 oz. herbal water (infuse nettle or lavender leaves in water—see our this link for an article for instructions) or use 5 oz. distilled water
    • 2 oz. glycerin
    • 1 oz. lemon juice
    Combine ingredients in glass jar and shake well. Apply 1/4 - 1/2 C. after shampooing. Rinse with warm water. Stores in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
  2. Coconut oil. Apply to dry hair and leave in until the next wash. Coconut oil helps reduce protein loss in hair. See this article for more information.
  3. Olive oil/egg/essential oil blend. This recipe is a conditioning treatment- protein rich eggs strengthen hair and help prevent split ends and damage. You can do this weekly or as needed.
    • 2 tsp. olive oil (moisturizer)
    • 3/4 C water
    • 1 egg yolk (softener)
    • 3-4 drops of essential oils of choice (optional)
    Mix egg yolk until bright yellow in color and thick. Mix water with Olive Oil then add essential oils. {Tea Tree, Rosemary, & Sage help dandruff. Sandalwood, Lavender, & Patchouli have a soothe a dry scalp and have a masculine scent. Peppermint will invigorate the scalp and citrus will help oily hair.}  Combine ingredients and apply to hair. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse using w/cool water, too hot will cook egg on your hair. Some sites say use this before you cleanse hair some say after.
  4. Avocado-Coconut Milk: Deep Conditioner For Dandruff & Frizz

    1 Avocado
    ½ can of (fat) Coconut Milk
    2 tbsp of Organic Coconut Oil
    2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Optional extras:
    (1/3 cup of organic honey for extra dry hair)
    (1 lemon for hair loss)

    *Blend and apply in hair for 30 min to an hour 
  5. Yogurt-Banana Deep Conditioner For Breakage-Prone Hair

    1 cup of plain whole-fat Yogurt
    1 Banana
    1 Egg
    2 tbsp of Jamaican Black Castor Oil

    *Blend and apply in hair for 30 min to an hour
  6. Hot Oil Deep Treatment For Dry Hair

    1 cup of Water (Bring to a boil)
    2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2 tbsp of Jojoba Oil
    2 tbsp of Jamaican Black Castor Oil
    10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil

    *Stir oils in water until warm. Massage mixture onto hair and scalp. Rinse after 30 min 

  7. Rhassoul clay. This clay can also be used for deep conditioning of the hair. Feel free to adapt the following recipe to suit your unique hair needs. *This is the conditioner I am using, due to the condition of my hair, I am using this nearly every time I cleanse my hair-which is about every 4-6 days 
  • 1/2 c. rhassoul clay
  • 1/2 c. warm coconut milk {Don't keep on hand use warm water &  enough dry milk powder to make 1/2 C} 
  • 1/4 c. rose water or herbal water (make your own infusion by pouring 2 c. boiling water over 2 tbsp. organic herbs or flower petals. Allow to steep for 30 minutes and strain.)
  • 1/4 c. distilled water (double this amount if no herbal or rose water is used)
  • 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil
  • Tad of Honey
Mix all ingredients except oil. Once you have a paste, stir in the oil. You may add a tad of honey at this point for added conditioning treatment. Apply to hair and allow to sit with a warm, moist towel or plastic hair cap for 1 hour. Rinse and style as usual. 

I keep this in a glass jar in the fridge and will bring to room temp before I use & will place in a pan of hot water to gently heat.
 
Rhassoul clay is excellent for ethnic hair as well, as seen in this video.


3 comments:

  1. That is very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty, I think so too! The rhassoul clay is my favorite and one I continue to use!

      Delete
    2. Update: I also use the coconut oil by its self or added to the rhassoul mixture. This is fantastic for damaged hair or for those with extra long hair and those desiring longer hair!

      Delete