Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

Kitchen Sink Frittata...The EASY way!!

Nearly every Sunday evening we have this for dinner, I do a plan a meal for Sunday, but we typically eat that meal when we get home from church famished!! By 5:30 we are all ready for a light bite!

 I will take a peak in the produce drawer of my fridge and see what is left or the "Smoothie" bin in my freezer. Typically I will use whatever is on hand and ready to go bad since I do my grocery shopping on Mondays- it's "use it now or pitch it!"  

Pic Credit

In my 20's before I was married, I had a roommate whose parents were straight from Sicily and the food...oh the FOOD, I was introduced to!! Delicious treats such as Frittatas that I am featuring today. Her technique is fussy & I never could master it, so when I have found the technique I am showing much simpler without sacrificing taste I was excited!


  Sunday "Kitchen Sink" Frittata

8-10 eggs, blended well

3 large Russet Potatoes, peeled and sliced thin

2 handfuls of Spinach/Kale, julienne

8 oz of Mushrooms, sliced
1 white onion, sliced thinly

1/2 C Julienne Sundried Grape Tomatoes packed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Bacon Drippings, Butter, Extra Virgin Olive Oil  
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. I use my favorite 12" heavy 18/10 stainless steel clad aluminum Wolf Gang Puck Chicken Fryer skillet. This pan heats evenly and can withstand the broiler as well, I use it often along with my beloved cast iron skillets from my grandma.
  2. Start by  scooping 2 T of Bacon Drippings, 1/2 T of Butter, and 1T EVOO in the bottom of my heavy skillet over med-high heat.
  3. Turn oven to broil
  4. As the pan heats I slice up 3 large potatoes, and 1 onion add to skillet when the bacon drippings are sizzling in the pan.
  5. Allow potatoes to brown in skillet, scraping the bottom of the pan every so often and onions to cook through. 
  6. Add Sliced Mushrooms & scrape the pan once the mushroom release thier liquid to loosen the potato yummies on the bottom of the pan
  7. Add Spinach/Kale and generous amount of Coarse Kosher Salt and fresh cracked pepper.
  8. As veggies are cooking crack each egg on at a time in a small bowl to check for freshness before you add to a large bowl, once all eggs are added sprinkle in kosher salt and pepper to taste. Then scramble with whisk until all combined.
  9. Pour Eggs over cooked veggies and sprinkled shredded cheese over top.
  10. Cook over medium heat until edges are set and start to pull away- the top will not be cooked through.
  11. Place the frittata under the broiler until cooked through and brown on top. This won't take long- stay near by or you will have an over cooked rubber eggs!!   
  12. Allow pan to cool with a lid on, the moisture will condense allowing for easier removal!
  13. Slice into wedges and serve as is or add a fresh and crisp salad.

I had a camera ready to take a picture of my frittata however the family was very hungry and ate it up before I was ready to take a pic... I will try to update with an original pic soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment