Crisp Fall Evenings...
Just seem to call for Soup!
Velvety- Rich and Creamy Tomato Soup
What do you do when you are out of tomato soup?
Why make it from scratch Of COURSE!!! Not only will be it cheaper and healthier- it will be tastier too!!
28 oz canned (or store bought) Crushed Tomatoes
2 Cups Whole Milk (2% milk for lower calorie or Heavy cream for richer taste use )
2-3T Sugar & 1-2T Kosher Salt
Combine ingredients and heat up in a 2 Qt sauce pan on stove top over medium-low heat, stirring often.
That's it! Easy-Peasy!
You could stop there or gourmet` it up & add:
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, diced & stirred until melted & blended or,
- 1-2T Crushed Thyme or Basil,
- 1/2 onion, sauteed in butter or EVOO or,
- 4 oz jar of Salsa or,
- 4 oz of finely shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Sharp Cheddar, or Smokey Gouda
IF you like it smooth use an immersion blender at the end and stir in:
- Toasted Garlic Croutons at the end,
- Grated Fresh Garlic at the end or,
- 3 T Fresh Pesto at the end
The only thing that could top this yummy soup off is the combo of Shredded, Smoked Cheddar and Gouda Cheeses Blended into Cream Cheese, topped with Fresh Grated Garlic. Then Spread onto Rustic & Crusty Homemade Asiago Cheese Artsian Bread, that is Toasted until Golden and DELICIOUS!!