This is VERY SECRET!!!
I have an addiction I have to admit to...
MY Weapons of FLAVOR!!
I have 2 major
Flavor ENHANCERS and TASTY beverages.
I love my condiments, they are small tools that offer a big punch of flavor and when I want a party in my mouth and (Between you and me:-) in the past I have spent a small fortune on dressings, flavored butters, & marinades...
The other day I just saw a commercial for Land O' L**kes flavored butters, "Saute Express" that offer consumers an easy start to a meal. The price of a 6- 1 oz cubes is equivalent to 1 WHOLE POUND OF BUTTER!!
Today I am going to concentrate on diy flavored butters there is no limit on how to use these powerful flavor weapons! Add them to:
- ANY Proteins,
- ANY Veggies,
- ANY Pasta Dishes
- ANY Breads/ Baked Good (savory or sweet baked goods).
I have combined a collection of some of my favorite, some I have made up myself and some are from web site searches-Flavored Butters:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1t-2T your favorite herb mix,(*homemade "below" or store bought) depending on taste,
- Garlic powder
- Optional: 1/4 C- 1/2 C fresh grated hard cheeses like Parmigiana Reggiano, Asiago, and Peccarino Romano
- Run Herb mix thru the Your bullet/food processor/coffee bean grinder to finely grind herb mix if so with be smoother and no one gets a large bite of rosemary or garlic chunk
- Add Softened Butter and Cheeses with Herbs until JUST mixed-don't over melt butter.
Hints for Use:
- Saute Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts for an Italian Chicken
- Add to a Strip Steak
- Add to Favorite Pasta with extra grind of pepper, sprinkle of sea salt, and extra grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese.
- Love these on fresh baked Italian or French crusty bread, place a slice of butter on top of bread then broil to toast yummy!!
*My Favorite Herbed Mix:
- 1/3 cup dried Marjoram leaves
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/3 cup dried basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. rosemary leaves, ground down to 1 tsp.
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1/2t fine ground sea salt
Combine all ingredients and store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry place.
|Roasted Hasselback potatoes w/herbed butter|
Herbed butter is great on fresh grilled corn, potatoes, steak, chicken, fish, pork...limited to your imagination!
- 2 ounces claw crabmeat, picked clean of shells--used imitation crab from Sam's Club
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon seafood base-*made my own
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Fold the crab, butter, seafood base, and onions together in a medium bowl and mix until smooth.
- Remove from the bowl and shape into a log on a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll up and place in the freezer.
Delish on Fish fillet, especially flounder and have done it on steak for a version of surf and turf!! Excellent butter, so flavorful and amazing!!
~My version of seafood base:
- 2 Tbsp. dried celery leaves
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground dried mustard
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg & cloves
- 1/2 tsp. dried ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Ground mace
- 1/4 tsp-1/2tsp of ground dried lemon rind(or lemon pepper and omit the black pepper above.)
Mix together in tight fitting lid, use on all seafood dishes, really good-makes about a 1/4C.------
3.) Orange Honey Butter (MotherHOOD)
- 1/2- Juiced & zested
- 1/2-1Lb package butter, softened
- 2T honey
- 1/4 t orange extract
- Mix all ingredients together, completely incorporating all ingredients, add more zest or honey to taste.
- Reshape butter into a log & cover with plastic wrap, place on serving plate, and into fridge- if not using right away.
- Be sure to come to room temp before using.
Delish on homemade English Muffin Breads, Artisan Shaped Bread, Muffins, pancakes, muffins, sweet breads like banana, pumpkin, zucchini...
- I love to press these tasty little morsels into a candy mold, think small size, and have pretty lil' shaped butter.
- Store these in the freezer so at a moments notice you have delicious-citrusy flavored butters!
1 pint strawberries, hulled
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
In a food processor purée the strawberries and force the purée through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Add the honey and the lemon juice and boil the mixture, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until it is thickened.
Let the strawberry mixture cool to room temperature.
In a bowl cream together the butter and the strawberry mixture.
Let the butter stand, covered, in a cool place for 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop.
~Use on English Muffin Bread, banana bread really god for that strawberry banana flavor, muffins...)
- 2 sticks of butter at room temp,
- 1C Honey,
- 1C Powdered Sugar,
- 2 t Cinnamon
- In hand mixer place softened butter and rest of ingredients
- Whip for 30 seconds, scrape sides, then whip again until well combined
- Be careful not to overmix
- Add to 6- 4oz jars and give for gifts or save the goodness all to yourself!
- We love these on fresh baked fluffly yeasty rolls, toast in the morning, Fresh Baked Cast Iron Corn Bread, or any baked good is made better with a little Cinnamon Butter!!
- Use on HAM, I used this once on a Spiral Sliced ham IT WAS SOOOO AWESOME!!
Hints For Storage of ANY prepared Butter:
- Lay on wax paper and roll
- Store in freezer and slice to add to butter
- Add to molds for shaped butter with homemade bread
- Whip into a small crock/ramekin bowl and serve w/bread.