Crock Pot 40 Clove Garlic BEEF
- 2& 1/2 LB Top Round Roast
- 40 cloves of garlic or 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 large sweet onion cut into rings
- 1 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 2 1/2 C Beef Stock
- Kosher Salt and fresh cracked Pepper to taste
- 2 t dried Oregano
- 1 t dried basil
- Rinse the beef well, pat dry, season well both sides then set aside.
- Heat up a heavy pan until very hot and add EVOO to coat the pan
- Add Onion Rings & garlic cloves cook until clear and fragrant, remove and set aside
- Add Beef and sear each side starting with the fat side first, about 5-10 min until rich and caramelized, after all sides have been seared removed beef and set aside.
- Pour in wine hold pan away from heat and return to heat removing all the bits from the bottom of pan, add in Stock, season, and add herbs. De-glaze the pan for about 10 minutes.
- (At this point I can choose to freeze dish as is making a "Crock Pot Kit" or continue with recipe below)
- Place beef in bottom of crock pot layering garlic cloves and onion rings.
- Pour beef stock/wine and cook for 6-8 on low
- Remove any fat that has risen to the surface with a spoon
- Mix equal parts cornstarch and water to make a cornstarch slurry
- Add to crock and turn on high for 20 min to thicken
- I have found to quickly peel garlic esp for a recipe like this where you are using the entire bulb is to cut the root and the stem off. The papery skins just fall right off
- Try not to get garlic too brown or you will notice a bitter taste in the background.
I love to serve this with a Mushroom and White wine Quinoa Risotto (of sorts:-)...Delish!!!