Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Mexican Pulled Beef

Seriously, this IS CRAZY good!! 

I am waiting for "the faja" to return home from work, and we all are just about salivating because of the incredible aroma wafting through the house right now. Poor guy might have to eat dinner by himself tonight!!


We typically make this in the crockpot, but because of the snowstorm we had today, I decided to roast it in the oven using my trusty heritage cast iron dutch oven. I perceived it would help warm us all up when we came back in from shoveling and playing in the snow!




When I use the cast iron cookware my mom and grandmother passed down to me; I envision anything I make in it is creating a legacy of memories for my children. Perhaps one day they too will create a much-anticipated meal for their brood in one of my cast iron collection and think of this snowy day celebrating winter with me?


I will include the directions for all day slow roasting and crock pot cooking. I managed to snap a few shots in the pan hopefully I will get pictures of the meal so you can see how I put together this dish! 


Typically I serve refried black beans, but I ran out of my freezer storage, and I only have dried ones in my pantry I might not make them. Ordinarily yellow rice would make an appearance at the table, yet again I didn't have rice, plenty of couscous so, this time, I made garlic whole wheat couscous... 

Necessity is the mother of invention, yes? I did pull together homemade Salsa Fresca and Guacamole so yeah, all I have to do is warm up the tortillas, dollop the delicious meat on top and add the accompaniments!


Mexican Pulled Beef
{Crock pot dish or Cast Iron Dutch Oven}
  • 3-5 Lbs Top Round or Chuck Roast
  • 1/2 C brine from pepperoncini peppers plus 1/8-1/2 C diced peppers, according to taste (I don't use them, it's a texture thing!)
  • 2-3 T: Smoked paprika, cumin, Chili powder, & Oregano. 
  • Scant pinch of Cayenne pepper, according to taste
  • 1-2 Beef Bullion granules,
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. 
  • l large Onion diced,
  • Four cloves garlic smashed and minced
  • 1/4C water
Regardless of the chosen cooking method, sear roast on all sides. Once the beef has perfect sear marks either place in crockpot with rest of the ingredients, turn on low and cook for 6-8 hours until meat is fork tender.

  • To cook in the oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, place beef in a well-seasoned cast iron dutch oven and sear as stated above remove beef and add water scrapping all the beefy goodness from the bottom of the pan. Return the beef and add the rest of the ingredients.
  •  Cover with a heavy lid preferably a cast iron one, and cook for 2 hours.
  • Turn oven down to 300 and cook for two more hours until fork tender.

 The way we choose to eat devour our Mexican Pulled Beef, is tucked away on a chewy tortilla smothered with rich sour cream, and then covered with salsa fresco, guacamole, & shredded cheddar. However, you could use the meat to fill burritos, enchiladas, Mexican lasagna, pasta or some other delicious Tex-Mex dish:


All wrapped up and ONLY one place to go!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment