A must have in a meal preppers wheelhouse!
In actuality you are making an infusion of coffee, by steeping it overnight using time versus heat to extract the coffee bean's essence- it's essential oils.
I love brewing coffee this way, because:
- The flavor profile is much smoother because, the grounds aren’t exposed to the sweltering heat of boiling water, creating a cup of Joe that's lower in acidity.
- Lower acidity creates a smoother cup that’s less upsetting on the tummy.
- By the same token rapidly cooling hot coffee will also cause a slightly bitter taste.
- Cold brew’s lower acidity creates a naturally sweeter taste, win-win-win if you ask me!
- Now the piece de resistance DOUBLE the caffeine! Funny, that while caffeine extracts more easily at higher temperatures, cold brew’s high bean-to-water ratio and longer brew time give your " cup of good morning" more zip to your do-da.
If lookup "Cold Brew" you will read a variety of recipes ranging from 1/2 C coarsely ground coffee beans to 1 Cup beans in a 32 oz container, basically, it is to taste. No matter how much you use; steep your coffee grounds for 12 hours in the fridge.
I figured out if you use 1 Part Coffee to 4.5 parts water you can convert the recipe to any size container you want!
I am not a fan of strong coffee, so here's my recipe:
- 1/2 C coarse ground medium roast coffee placed
Best French Press Ever!
- Pour filtered water overtop of grounds to fill halfway and give a stir to fully moisten the grounds.
- Then fill the volume of the container to the line of French Press with filtered water and gently top with lid.
- Allow to steep 12 hours in the fridge.
- Then gently depress the plunger, and pour the concentrate into a lidded glass container. (I add 2 droppers full of liquid stevia and around 6 ounces of creamer.)
- Will keep for 2-3 weeks, HA! mine lasts a few days...
- To drink the beverage iced, fill a 16 oz glass with ice and use 2 oz of concentrate and fill with cold water
- Or 1 part concentrate to 3-4 (Depending on taste) parts filtered water or you can even heat filtered water and add concentrate.
Wanna hear some super sweet trade secrets to awesome flavor?
- Add 1- 14oz can sweetened condensed milk to your concentrate, this will make YUMMY creamy goodness to enjoy for pennies on the dollar.
- Add a couple cinnamon sticks to coffee grounds while steeping overnight.
- Add other spices to Concentrate while Steeping: Smashed Cardamom Pods, Scraped Vanilla Beans Pods, Grated Nutmeg, Cloves, Grated Hazelnut, Peppercorns, Ginger (Think Marsala Chai Spice!!)