Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Teach me Tuesday: Adventures in Whole Foods/Organic Eating

Found an organic co-op in my area, now I am overwhelmed looking at the thousands of items that are offered, funny how seeing names and descriptions without pics make it harder for me to decide if we need it? I am not sure what I want to stock up on, what I really want to start with.


Since I am baking on a regular basis I am thinking that I want to try coconut sugar which is on sale 30% off, though I am not sure what the delivery and taxes will bring my cost up to as well as the one time fee of $10 to join the co-op and the $5 pick up fee if I don't regularly help unload truck. So I will have to add $15 right off the bat to my initial order plus shipping and taxes. They also strongly suggest you order minimum of $100 per month... Decided to save the money & go once a month up to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Mustard Seed, & Earth Fare.

Anyhow, I am thinking I really want to try the coconut sugar reg in place of brown sugar and blonde in place of granulate sugar, xtra virgin coconut oil in place of my canola in all my cooking and baking & I think I replace shortening in cookies with coconut oil-will have to research.  I would like to find a sprouted flour for the bread I am making every other day that would be better. 

Plus I would like to find a wild sour dough starter, don't know if that would work in my bread making technique I have been using the Artisan Bread in 5 min. My husband cracked me up this evening as I inquired as to the children's supper, that he couldn't use the "new" bread to make Kissi's pb&j's, he was appalled at the mention of if LOL! He didn't want to "waste" that bread on that, he wanted simple sandwich bread, LOLOLOL!!! 

How funny was that? I informed him this was our new bread and Kissi loves it for sandwiches so I will try the sandwich recipe next time I make a batch which will prolly do by Friday. Will let u know how that turns out. I did make pitas with the Master recipe turned out gr8! Want to make tortillas now out of it, hopefully I can

The other area of concern is the kids snacks, I am doing Annies Homegrown bunnies seems like a good replacement for the fishies, would like to add the mac and cheese and their cheese ravioli's as well as the all starts, so when we are running late we have the convince items on hand that are healthy.  

I am thinking of ordering Keifer since it is on sale, that way I can give the kids kiefer every day and get some the health benefits going thru their systems and ours, I suspect if my husband drank some every day his IBS and mine would virtually disappear. I would like to get some Sprouted Ground Whole Wheat and pasta. 

Made the hand sanitizer, that was a BUST! Way too watery then I got the bright idea to add more glycerin...yeah now slippery and slightly sticky, so I think of adding my son's Simply Thick beverage thickener...ummm don't know if that helped or made worse. It does absorb eventually and my hands are as chapped as they have been, since we had Hand Foot and Mouth disease, ROTO Virus, Pink EYE, some throat virus (Jim and I are still battling), and sinus infections....so we have been using the hand sanitizer like it is holy water around here. Both of our hands are so raw and chapped it is insane.

My hands feel smooth and look good after a day of 10 poopy dipe changes and working, so perhaps it might not be so bad? Maybe in place of the pump dispenser I will use the spray bottle and it will not dispense so much? Might have to try that, bc it is still thin enough I believe it will spray, I think...

I did find another recipe from another blogger I recently discovered:

Searching For Hidden Treasure's Hand Sanitizer:
  • 12 ounce bottle of 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel {It must be clear and say 100% on the bottle!}
  • 3/4 teaspoon of Tea Tree Oil
  • Witch Hazel

In a glass bowl, mix Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil. Then add witch hazel until you have the consistency you want your sanitizer to be.
 The more Tea Tree Oil you use, the stronger the antibacterial qualities your hand sanitizer will have. But the smell can be overwhelming too. 
You can add other essential oils such as citrus, lavender or cedar wood if you'd like to have a sanitizer with a better scent.

Like what the glycerin did for hand protection, still might add like a 1/2 tsp and 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar for it's sanitizing properties. 

But will def start with a 12 oz base of Pure Aloe Vera Gel and Tea Tree is main add others maybe 1/8 tsp at time so it won't be so watery? Will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment