Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

RECIPE WED # 6: Breakfast Burritos


Our Family LOVES breakfast burritos- 
 It is easy & costs pennies to make, 
 (*Costs me $0.59/each to make!!)

WAaaaaaay cheaper than those fast food chains!! Plus it is easy to reheat! You can reheat in the microwave in you are on the run in seconds or if you have just few more seconds you can reheat it in a sandwich maker for a crispy outside and tender steamy inside!

I made this for my HUMUNGOUS freezer session for my upcoming surgery, check out my plan in this post. It is fairly easy and fast to make even if you have interruptions while preparing this you can do it in steps, that is important to me when you have young children like I do. You can scale this down for you family but this freezes well so I say go for it and if freezer cooking intimidates you give this a try and save your family money and extra calories by making it yourself!

  • 30- 10" Flour Tortillas
  • 1LB Ground Bulk Sausage, Regular
  • 1LB Ground Bulk Sausage, Sage
  • 3 Dozen Farm Fresh Eggs
  • 2 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 LB Bag of Potato O'Brien
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Milk
  • Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
  • Chives, chopped (optional)
  • 16 oz salsa (Optional)

Ran out of eggs, usually more eggs in mix
  • Brown the Sausage in large skillet, remove from skillet and leave 2 T of drippings in pan.   
  • While Sausage is cooking scramble eggs with milk and season with chopped chives, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper,  & crushed red pepper, cook low and slow- semi-hard set and throw in shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
  • Drain Sausage in colander, allow to cool, and add to large bowl.
  • When eggs are cool add to sausage in large bowl.
  • Open bag of O'Brien Potatoes and add to large bowl. 
  • Add Salsa to large bowl if planing on using, add 2 oz at time to be sure you don't make this too "soupy" will be a HUGE mess upon reheating!!
I use double this amount of filling, just didn't get a pic of it.

Assembly of Burritos:
  • Spoon as much filling onto center of tortillas as will comfortably hold (I used about 2T)
  • Fold the bottom edge up and over the filling and fold other side over that.
  • Roll up the Burrito from bottom.


  



Packaging Burritos 
 I like to use the the snack size storage bags, if the burrito is not stuffed to fool, they fit perfectly.
Recently though I have been using Deli style wax papers and folding them the same was a burritos over top the sandwich. What I like about using the wax paper is can reheat in the wax paper and it is biodegradable.

Either wrapping you choose I place the burritos back into the tortilla bag- I don't worry about freezer burn bc they don't last more than 3 week in my freezer. I usually have about 4-6 burritos left over and I place the wax wrapped burritos in a larger freezer storage bag.


To Eat:
Place on a microwavable plate and thaw in microwave for 20-30 sec on defrost or medium level-if using wax papers can thaw and reheat in wax papers if using snack bags remove from packaging.

Or if you have a "sandwich maker" this is so perfect for to reheat in, it has this nice toasty & cripsy outside and the inside is tender and steamy..YUmmy!!

Reheat on high for 20-30 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment