Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

RECIPE WED # 11: Odobo Seasoning

I was so discouraged at the super market last shopping trip, I wanted to make a few authentic Mexican dishes and was going to give chipotle peppers in adobo sauce a try.  

 

I couldn't find it at the "Super Mart", granted I did go to more than one store, but I know the "Super" store I went to (Only went there at all because it was after work and it was 10:00pm-otherwise I WOULDN'T go there at all!) has a whole "Mexican" aisle, but the location I went to by my house did not. GRRRR! Have the same selections at each store WILL YA?? I find that with many stores, I know they have to stock what is selling and different areas do sell different things. But I get so irritated that I have to travel all over town to get ethnic, wholesome, or organic food choices

 

SO people in my area must only love white bread, chemical laden "American" boring bland non-organic food choices, then???? 

 

 That is soooo frustrating, sooooooo "they say" {Whomever they are anyway!} necessity is the mother of invention, right? I scoured the web looking for authentic recipes and found a few. I blended them together with all that I have on hand and tried this combo...jack pot!! IT tastes just like the MEXICAN resturants, yummy-yummy I got tastey treats in my tummy and I made it all by myself!!!!! Whooo-hooo!! And I saved us money to boot!

 

Give this a try, you might really like it! I found all the ingredients at my bland boring "Super Mart", so I am betting it isn't that hard to find smoked paprika, dried ground chipotle pepper, & Dried ground Ancho chili peppers. If  you do have trouble there is always Amazon, they have EVERYTHING check the gourmet and grocery category.

 

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (Didn't have any so I used Marjoram-next time I want to use Mexican Oregano)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried ground chipotle pepper powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried ground Ancho chili pepper power
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground all spice
  • SMALL pinch of Sugar, just to round out flavor, SMALL!! (Little less than 1/8 teaspoon)

Directions

  1. In a bowl, stir together the salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. Store in a sealed jar in a cool, dry place.

No comments:

Post a Comment