Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2013

Frugal Fridays: 3 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF WHEN PURCHASEING A Freezer


It has been way to long since I have been posting "Frugal Fridays", 
I really have been juggling quite a load lately. 

The household needs some SERIOUS TLC with all the surgeries, recovery periods, and now learning to cope with chronic pain "while homeschooling a precocious preschooler and special needs toddler, who only knows 2 speeds FAST & FASTER" & receives therapy 1-2/week for speech, occupational, & physical needs.

III YIII YII!! Some days I just wish we never needed rest or at least could feel refreshingly rested even after less than 4 hours of sleep...some women make that look easy, yeah, I am SO NOT one of them, I NEED 7 hours of sleep or I am one grumpy, unfocused, dingy, bear...

So ANYWAYSSSSSSS, Sheesh, I found some old frugal files from back in the early part of 2000's....

Each week I thought I would share some of the cream of the crop so to speak! :-)





So you want to purchase 
an extra Freezer 
for Pantry storage or 
once a month
Cooking ...?


TOP 3 QUESTIONS YOU NEED to ASK YOURSELF WHEN PURCHASING
the BEST FREEZER for your family.


Freezer Lessons 101:
Pic Credit


1.) UPRIGHT OR CHEST?

UPRIGHT- PROs:
  • Takes up less floor space due to being an upright.
  • Easy to organize the contents
  • Can view contents at a glance.
  • Typically more expensive then chest version
  • Generally doesn't last as long the chest version.

Upright- Cons:
  • Isn't as energy efficient as chest
  • Hold less food per Cubic Foot than a chest freezer

CHEST- PROS:
  • Uses less energy then the upright version  
  • Holds more food per cubic foot versus an upright.
  • Better for storing big & bulky shaped food items
  • Easily handles larger food storage needs 
  • Typically cheaper than upright version
  • Typically life span of chest freezer at optimum working condition is 15 years.

CHEST- CONS:
  • Harder to organize
  • Difficult to view contents at a glance. 

2.) Frost free vs Self Defrost ?:PROS Frost Free:
  • SUPER EASE OF USE, 
  • NO DEFROSTING OR CROWDING OF FREEZER WITH ICE
  • NO HASSLE OF DEFROSTING

CONS
  • USES ABOUT 10-20% MORE ELECTRICITY 
  • Typically more expensive
  • Typically doesn't last as long
 
PROS: SELF DEFROST
  • Uses less electricity    
  • Generally less expensive than Frost Free version 

3.) What size freezer should I purchase?
  • The rule of thumb is 8 cubic foot should accommodate the freezer needs of 2 people.
  • Add 1 cubic foot per additional family member
  • Add 2 cubic foot if you entertain  
  •  Freezers less than 2/3 full use more energy, so having a large under-stocked freezer will cost you more money in the long run. Select one that meets your capacity requirements or use *tricks I have listed below
My personal opinion- Take in mind, I have freezer cooked for 14 years and a have a family for 4- less than 18 cubic foot is too small for my families needs.

 
Tricks I learned with my Chest Freezer:
  • Using "vented" milk crates to hold contents. 
  • Keeping like foods together {SUCH as Dairy, Baked Goods, Poultry, Fruit, Veggies...} 
  • Using luggage tags to label the contents 
  • Freeze contents in Gallon thick freezer bags FLAT
  • label with bold SHARPIE ONLY, with contents, date and further instructions.
  • I do different color in labeling for different items. {Such as black for red meat, purple for poultry, blue for baked goods, green for veggies... and so no}
  • Once frozen will fit in baskets/crates upright and you let your fingers do the walking
  • Most used item on top, less used on bottom
  • If you find you're not utilizing 2/3 of the available space in your freezer, consider adding jugs of water to fill up the empty space to improve efficiency


All of this allows me the benefits that 
I miss with my upright freezer. 
It is a little More work at first but it makes it easier in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment