Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Teach ME Tuesdays! Greener Solutions... #1

I have been trying all these green DIY household cleaners, supplies, beauty treatments, you know name it & I have been trying it! Not only to be more green and attempt to leave smaller carbon footprints on the planet, but I am also trying to 
save some money. 

So in that vein I am also attempting to be organized, instead of randomly posting food recipes, green cleaning solutions, family articles and such I will try to post with a purpose and post these on designated "Theme" days. 

Most of my DIY formulas will be on Teach me Tuesdays, The Good, The Bad and The What was She Thinking?? Experiments
We can grow and learn together, maybe we will save the planet, some some pennies, and save some sanity along the way?? 
Sometimes I might post other things along with these on different days other than Tuesdays, but I will try to be more organized in my delivery!


Welcome to the First Ever 
TEACH ME TUESDAY!


I Think I found the Right Formulas for MY Family!!


Phewwwww! I have tried for months to find the perfect formula for dish washing [Washing by HAND] liquid that works
 for our hard water. 

 I just couldn't get it right
dishes would feel greasy
would be filmy, or 
just didn't rinse right & would have spotty glass ware-
they just didn't' look or feel clean. 
  

I tried:
  • A bunch of different formulas
  • Different rinse water formulas, 
  • You name it & I probably tried it!!

NOTHING seemed to work for our hard lime filled water. But I am not a quitter and I wasn't giving up, but I starting to feel a bit discouraged to say the least until I started using this secret ingredient...
AND THEN...

I tried to make my own toothpaste....


How I store my toothpaste, only this looks neater than mine!
 Uhmm, yeah I have NEVER brushed my teeth
AND then threw up bc of the taste in my mouth afterwards! 



So after some months building up the courage tonight 
I just mixed a batch and 
  
I think I have found a recipe that I can live with
I still might tweak it but I didn't throw up afterwards, so that is plus, right?

UREKIA!! 

I believe I FINALLY found the right formula that works for us!!!


The Formulas:


I.Hand Dish Washing Liquid
  • 16 Oz clean squeeze bottle (I use an upcycled former dish washing liquid, this is so thin you can use the foaming bottles just fine since those bottles need a thin soap)
  • *7 oz Orange infused white Distilled Vinegar
  • 6 oz water
  • 2 oz Sal-Suds
  • 6 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
  • Funnel
  • Measuring Cup with pour spout
-----------------------------------------------
  1. Measure Vinegar and pour into bottle or eye ball it, nearly half of the bottle less an ounce or 2
  2. Measure Water and pour into bottle or eye ball it, leaving a good 4" from bottle
  3. Measure Sal-Suds and pour into bottle- I DON'T eye ball this as too much won't rinse well and this isn't cheap, so I NEVER want to waste it.
  4. Use eye dropper and use 6 drops Tea Tree into bottle.
  5. Gently shake to combine

Tips & Hints:
  • I ALWAYS add Sal-Suds LAST it suds so much it will take hours to get the foam down if add it before you add any other liquid.
  • See this post on how to make your own * Orange infused Vinegar {This is my Secret Ingredient weapon!} The orange infused Vinegar makes all the difference, plus using a large amount of it. VERY important with hard water to get that clean rinse on glassware.
  • I have recently made triple the amount and used an old 2 qt juice bottle to have refills handy
  • I tend to go thru this faitly quick, like 1 bottle every 2 weeks (IF I am doing the dishes), other ppl who "want to help" will squeeze the daylights out of my bottle. I keep telling them bubbles don't equal clean...
  • Grrr....Sometimes it just doesn't even make it worthwhile to try explain my life choices...


II.Winter Green Flavored Tooth Paste
  • 5 teaspoons baking soda 
  • 1½ teaspoon hard honey -
  • 1½ teaspoon hydrogen peroxide -
  • 1½ teaspoon coconut oil -
  • 6 drops of wintergreen essential oils 
----------------------------
  1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl to form a paste. 
  2. If you like half this recipe to test it first then if you do, proceed to double, triple, or quadruple the recipe. 
  3. Store it in an easy to dispense 2-4 ounce bottle/container at the sink, or just as you normally would with any commercial brand toothpaste. 

Tips & hints:
  • I store my toothpaste in an old 4 oz glass jar of baby food jar and use a spoon to apply the paste to my brush. 
  • This will be hard in the cold days and more paste-like if you use it fresh after someone has showered or if you don't have air and it is hot out.
  • I just love these old jars I kept the jars I had from my son when I used to get free baby food (He HATED store bought, only liked my fresh homemade kind) Just so glad I got all those FREE jars.

How has your quest gone to find the 
"RIGHT" Formulas 
for your own DIY household items ?

No comments:

Post a Comment