Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Un-Stuffed Greek Chicken Giouvetsi

Ok, you got me...Giouvetsi in essence is a Greek version of a casserole...


If you read my blog with any type of regularity you will know my obstinate feeling towards thick, gloopy-gloppy, bland, flavorless casseroles.


I should have been this way my whole life, since my stepdad had extreme obstinate feelings attitude toward any casserole, I remember him saying anytime anyone mentioned that word, 


"I would rather eat a dead groundhog lying on the side of the road for 3 days then eat casserole." 

I used to think that was soo funny, but I did LOVE tuna noodle casserole, still do I just updated it with grown up flavors when I eat it....

Anyway I do digress {What's new, I am a rambling girl, LOL!}, I was making multiple dishes for my "poultry cooking Meal Session" and I was working on the Greek Stuffed Chicken, which is too delicious for even words. 

You start with a HUMONGOUS chicken breast you know the kind I am speaking of, it's the kind you buy and think how will this cook all the way thru? This is the MOST IMPORTANT part, because you can't stuff them correctly if you use the smaller ones [Ask me how I know! LOL!]...

Looks my dish but is from this web site and not my recipe
Ehemmmm, enter my new recipe...{I know this looks like a lot of ingredients and steps, but bear with me, it makes sense and if you read it in sections it is not that intimidating} I don't have a pic, Of Course, I will try REMEMBER to get one b4 we dig in tonight, but this pic looks similar to mine.
  • 6 chicken breasts, placed in a freezer bag and pounded thin w/rolling pin to 1/4" thin.
  • 1 bag 14 oz frozen chopped spinach- [Used 10 oz fresh baby spinach]
  • ½ medium onion, minced
  • 2 or 3 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 Tbsp Olive oil
  • 4oz Sundried tomatoes in jar or already hydrated
  • 4oz Capers, drained
  • 2 oz Homemade Ricotta Cheese {or store bought}
  • 2oz Feta cheese
  • 1 Lemon
  • 1 C Chicken Stock (Homemade is BEST)
  • 1 Lemon, juiced and Zested
  • 1/4 C Soft dry White Wine
  • Kosher Salt & Fresh Crack Pepper
  • Granulated Garlic
  • Parsley & Oregano
  • Panko Breading
  • 4 T Butter
Filling:
  1. In a large sauté pan on low heat, add frozen spinach to thaw and the water to evaporate from the spinach.
  2. Bring heat up to medium and move spinach over to side of pan Add a small amount of olive oil and place garlic and onion in the oil. In another spot in the same pan add the sundried tomatoes and capers.
  3. After two minutes push all ingredients in the sauté pan to the middle and mix. Continue to move mixture to make sure nothing is sticking.
  4. Turn heat off, but leave pan on burner.
  5. Add the Ricotta and Feta cheese to the warm spinach mixture and mix well. Take pan off stove or to a cooler burner.
  6.  Squeeze half a Lemon and zest part of the peel.
  7. Sprinkle with dried Parsley and Oregano.
Chicken Breasts:
  1. Place Chicken Breasts in a gallon sized Freezer bag
  2. Pound 1/4" thin and place on a large platter
  3. Season Breasts with granulated garlic Powder, Kosher Salt & fresh Cracked Pepper on both sides
  4. Sauté Chicken breasts in 2 T EVOO until cooked through {About 5 min each side}
  5. Remove the chicken Breasts and place on a clean platter and cover to keep warm
Lemon Butter Chicken Velouté Wine Sauce:
  1. In same pan pour 1/4 soft dry white wine to deglaze the pan, scrape bottom of pan with a wooden spoon to get all the flavorful pieces of brown bit goodness, [I call them FLAVOR NUGGETS!!].
  2. Add 2 T Butter and melt through
  3. Add 1/4 C flour and cook 2 min over low heat
  4. After a few minutes you can add a third of your stock, stir continuously, when all of that stock is absorbed, add the rest of the stock, stirring continuously. This will thicken as it cooks for another 5 minutes.
  5. Add More liquid if seems too thick- cautiously
For Topping:
  1. Toast the panko bread crumbs lightly in 2 T melted butter in small skillet, 
  2. Remove from heat and add s & p, granulated garlic, parsley, and oregano.
To Assemble the Giouvetsi:
  1. Spray 11"X9" pan with cooking spray.
  2. Layer 3 chicken breasts in pan covering the bottom.
  3. Spread the Filling over the top of Chicken Breasts
  4. Place the remaining Chicken breasts over top of the Filling
  5. Pour the  Lemon Butter Chicken Velouté Sauce over the chicken
  6. Crumble the Panko Bread Crumbs over top.
Baking:
  1. Preheat Oven to 350
  2. Bake until filling is bubbly
  3. Cover top with foil if top is getting to brown

Updated this IS my dish, was so AWESOME!!

Enjoy! This is rich & decadent Giouvetsi with just the right balance of creamy and acid from the capers and lemon juice, so many complex flavors that blend into deliciousness your mouth will just sing with happiness.  This is perfect for company, Potluck,  or for more of a FOODIE type Progressive Dinner, guests will just dive right in!

I really like the original recipe & the creative way of stuffing the breasts pushing ingredients inside instead of pounding thing and tooth picking them that such a dated way of filling. I also love the the chicken breasts texture is when baked in original form... but if you find yourself unable to stuff your breasts this is an incredible Giouvetsi and not your average casserole! 

I believe you could freeze this just fine since the sauce is not made from cream it won't curdle or break upon thawing and reheating, I think it would be just fine. 

But after a few days of making these scrumptious smelling and looking meals and not allowing my hubby more than a taste... yeah he might just flip his lid! He has been working long hard hours so I think this amazing dish will soothe him and keep him from digging into the Chicken Parmesan Cutlets I have to make after this post. Then half of my Chicken Freezer mini session will be done and I will concentrate on the rest of the "Crock Pot Kit" and "Dump" Chicken Freezer Meals....:-)

Linked to Gooseberry Recipe Round-Up, Weekend Pot Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment