Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Black Bean & Quinoa Patties

I forgot to get a pic of my red scallions, but they looked like this!
In my CSA share I have been talking about I also found about 1& 1/2 Lbs of red scallions and about 5 or 6 garlic scapes in my basket. I really didn't know what to do with the scapes, I have never cooked with them before so I looked up some recipes but didn't really feel inspired by them. What did do slice them up along with 3 C of left over quinoa and 3 cans of black beans and made a protein packed veggie "burger"
Garlic Scapes

The red scallions were AMAZING!!!, beyond delicious, I hope to find these again, they are so flavorful. The garlic scapes were interesting some were soo woody and fibrous I thought if I sauteed them with EVOO along with the red scallions they would soften up. They really didn't, so then I thought I would use my food processor to soften them...nope not all did, reminds me of the stalks of broccoli, however there were a few that were tender and they were really delicious.

Yummy Black Beans being pureed!
I sauteed them with EVOO then added 3 cans of drained & rinsed black beans and seasoned them with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. That was the fantastic, I could have eaten them just like that, they tasted like the best refried beans ever!

I took the left over Quinoa side dish from our Father's Day picnic- day 3 I either finish them up or freeze them by now, I have a strict 3 day policy for food in my fridge- so I  mixed it w/the black bean mixture that was partially smashed with food processor. Added 2 eggs and 1& 1/2 C fresh bread crumbs, seasoned with more kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper along with a  dash of cumin and smoked paprika.

I sauteed the patties in a few tablespoons of EVOO over med-low heat crisping the bottom to a golden brown deliciousness, then flipping, about 3-5 min per side.

I allowed to cool on paper towel lined tray then transferred to was a paper lined cookie sheets and flash froze them.

 I will place them in a freezer storage container lining with wax paper between patties and LABEL according, very important, I won't remember what deliciousness is inside if I don't label!


I placed 2 patties on whole wheat bread then spread a mixture of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise on a bed of arugula and grape tomatoes 
A TASTY little treat I would like to call YUM!!!!  

Very satisfying, even strict carnivores would be satisfied with this "burger"

I still LOVE my regular Quinoa burgers, 
these are a bit different~ more meaty & more "burger looking". 

What a healthy & tasty lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment