If you haven't tasted it before quinoa tastes to me like a yellow pepper- it is a tasty a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), a grain-like crop grown in the Andes primarily for its edible starchy seeds. It reminds you of brown rice and most people wouldn't know the difference if you didn't tell them.
Organic Veggie Quinoa
This is my favorite side dish and "although quinoa is slightly higher in fat, it edges out brown rice in both amounts of protein and dietary fiber per serving. As a seed rather than a whole grain, "The New York Times" notes that
quinoa has all essential amino acids in it,
whereas the whole grain brown rice does not make up a complete protein on its own."
Read more about this here.
I love to caramelize my veggies, toast my quinoa, and cook my mixture in a homemade, rich, & flavorful roasted chicken stock.
This is a great pot luck dish or picnic side dish as it holds well with room temp won't curdle or spoil as easy in summer weather.
The taste compliments hot dogs and burgers as well as it does grilled chicken, fish or beef kabobs meat main dishes.
Give this healthier side dish a try at your next gathering or simple family dinner!
- 4 C organic free range chicken stock (I make mine homemade)
- 2 Cups rinsed Organic Quinoa
- 2-3T kosher salt (Sorry but I use salt, it just doesn't taste right without it!)
- 1T fresh cracked pepper
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1-2 lg vidalia onions, diced
- 4 oz roasted asparagus spears
- 3t finely diced red and yellow peppers (hate the texture of peppers but like a little dap of them in this)
- 10 Oz sliced Button Mushrooms, sliced
- Heat skillet over med heat, once hot add EVOO
- Add onions & peppers, once onions are clear add mushrooms
- When mushrooms have reduced in size and used up their liquid.
- Add asparagus and season with salt and pepper cook for about 3-5 min
- Add garlic and Quinoa, only cook until garlic is fragrant and quinoa is toasted slightly, 1-3 min max!
- Pour in stock and allow to come to a boil, taste and see if seasoning needs adjusted.
- Cover and turn to simmer for 10-15 min
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 min, fluff with fork.
- Taste again and see if seasoning is ok adjust if need be.