Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2012

CSA Veggie Primavera

I picked up my CSA share and we were told in the first few weeks it was going to be slim, well she wasn't kidding- 
she was quite right, bc it was 
VERY, VERY SLIM INDEED.... 

CSA Basket Challenge:
  • 5 garlic scapes*{You find the woody parts of this aromatic veggie like you do asparagus and cut it where the tender part starts}
  • 10 peas (had about 10-15 I had to throw away)
  • 4 very small red skin potatoes
  • 2 pickling cucumbers (I had one I had to throw away)
  • 2 Zucchinis
  • 1 Yellow Squash
  • 2 Beets (I roasted them and will puree them and freeze for smoothie drink freezer packs)
  • 3 Shallots
  • Dried Oregano
  • Brownie marshmallow crispy dessert
  • 1 dozen eggs (Will use throughout the week) 
 
From my pantry/fridge : EVOO, Spinach, grape tomatoes, feta cheese, Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette, noodles, half & half, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, Toasted Almond Slivers, & red grapes.

 I reviewed my share and knew with the small amount of produce 
I wouldn't have enough to last the week,
and with the quality of each veggie 
they were on the "last day of fresheness".
So I had to make something that  
utilized all the veggies in one dish 

I decided the best way cook all the veggies in one dish was to make: 


Creamy & Tasty Primavera.

Veggies coated in flour
This was SOO, soooo good, much better with fresh organic veggies!! 




 I am totally in love with the garlic scapes, especially now that Renae instructed me on the way to use it,* and the shallots are amazing! I want to cook with these 2 aromatics more often!!

I seasoned the sauce with the dried oregano we got in our share this week along with a splash of fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, some sumac (which to me tastes bright and has a lemony taste), some kosher salt and pepper and of course half and half for the dairy element. 

After I sauteed the veggies in EVOO & once they were softened and delicious I coated them in flour cooked the flour for a few minutes.


Sauce not get reduced, but doesn't it look rich and fabulous?
Then I poured some rich Half & Half (I cut calories by using half & half instead of heavy cream) & seasoned to taste. 

I allowed the sauce to come a gentle boil to thicken slightly and reduced to simmer until the desired viscosity  was achieved.




Delicious Dinner compliments of our CSA


I hope the next basket shares will be much more plentiful. 
I like the idea of supporting local produce and organic small businesses 
but this has been much smaller than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment