DIY Taco Seasoning
This is my version of that super salty MSG loaded seasoning packet, mix up extra and store in an air tight container for future meals, make meal a snap!!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (or 1 t whole cumin seeds toasted)
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- pinch cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper, and grind in spice grinder.
- Store in an airtight container.
Update to how I make the taco seasoned beef now 6/21/2012:
I have friends whose spouses are Mexican and they way they make their ground beef for tacos is much different than the seasoning we American's often think of.
So I actually blend the 2 bc my family doesn't like it when I stray off the path of the familiar but I get bored with that so I blend the 2...
- Mince 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic and chipotle pepper from a can of adobo seasoning very fine.
- Start the hamburger to brown in a hot, dry skillet. When the fat starts to render add the onion, garlic and chipotle, and stir to distribute.
- When the meat is about half browned, rub Mexican oregano and thyme to crumble them, then add them along with the remaining spices from above to the browning meat and stir to distribute. Continue to cook the meat until all surfaces are browned, reduce heat and cook through if necessary. Drain off any extra fat.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.