Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Khyar Bi Laban

Khyar bi laban is a Middle Eastern cucumber salad with yogurt.  Served cold, a lot of vegetarians I know say this is their favorite eaten with a protein main dish and it makes a great side to a heavy meat main dish for the carnivores like ME. Also can be eaten as an appetizer.
  • 4 cucumbers, peeled, seeded to look like a "boat"
  • Up to-1 1/2 pints plain yogurt (I use my homemade yogurt, slightly thin, so I make sure my cucs are drained as well as possible and I don't use as much yogurt as original recipe calls for I eyeball it and add more later if too needed)
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh mint--(I am not a fan of mint in my dishes so I add 1/2 T fresh flat leaf parsley & 1-t dried dill or 1/2T fresh dill if I have on hand- this decidedly changes the dish, but I LOVE it!!).
  • 1-2  cloves garlic
  • 1/2 t (or splash) Lemon juice

Place sliced cucumbers in strainer and sprinkle with salt and set hollowed-out side down. Set aside. 

Crush garlic and mash together with mint (or herbs) using a mortar and pestle or wood spoon ( I use a bullet type blender for a few seconds).

Combine yogurt and garlic (herbs)/mint mixture together. Stir well. Cut cucumber into thin lengthwise slices & fold into garlic yogurt herb mixture, serve cold.

Variations 
Cucumbers can be cut into small pieces instead of lengthwise strips. It's a matter of preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment