Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2012

Frugal Fridays: MYO Christmas Gifts- #4: Coconut Bon-Bons

 I Love these TASTY LITTLE treats!!!


Another "mystery" ingredient, that you might hesitate when I tell you, but it is IMPORTANT to the texture of this treat.
 
THERE IS  is also a bit of a science behind this as you watch the powdered sugar dissolve the "mystery ingredient" &  you are amazed the first time you see it happen

Nearly every year I make this I have to still have to fight the urge to NOT to FREAK out when the mystery ingredient turns liquidy, then when I stir more powder sugar in, it seems to take more than I remembered to firm it back up.

Are you ready for the mystery ingredient YET??

INSTANT MASHED POTATOES 

I know, you might not think that a typically savory dish could make this treat soo delicious, but it does!!  And I am not one to advocate the uses of "instant" anything, but I have tried this with fresh made mashed potatoes and it doesn't have the right texture unless you use a food mill, even then I still didn't quite like it. 



It is easy and only a bit involved simply because you have quite a bit of "guess work" when it comes to the proper amount of powdered sugar.  

Just be patient!! 

And stir, wait a few moments, add more powder sugar & then stir again. Unless you have the forearms of Popeye you might end up using your hands.

Other than that it is simply add ingredients and stir, stir, stir....

COCONUT BON-BONS
  • 3/4 C Instant STIFF Mashed Potatoes, cold
  • 4 C Powdered Sugar
  • 4 C Sweetened Flaked Coconut
  • 1-2 t Almond or GOOD Gourmet Handmade Vanilla Bean Extract - {Personally if I don't like the flavor profile when almond extract is omitted, but I give you that option, try if first w/almond though!}
  • 1-2 t GOOD Gourmet Handmade Organic Coconut Extract (or store bought)
  • 12 Oz REAL Chocolate, cut int to cubes and tempered
---------------------
  1. Mix COLD Mashed potatoes with almond & coconut extract 
  2.  Stir in 1 C powder sugar & mix until sugar has dissolved. Will look liquidy, don't freak! Keep adding Powder sugar until mixture holds its shape. WILL TAKE MORE THAN YOU THINK JUST BE PATIENT AND ADD SMALL AMOUNTS AT A TIME!!
  3.  Place in fridge until firms up about 20 minutes.
  4. Shape into 2" inch diameter Balls & place back into fridge until firms up about 20 minutes or up to over night. (I typically will make all my candy fillings in one day, place in either fridge or freezer over night, then spend all my effort the next day tempering with finicky chocolate!) 


 5. Use fork and dip into tempered chocolate, I like to double dip!



You could totally shape these into little "Bars" and place a raw almond on top before you dip into chocolate for a "JOY-full" experience!! Pun-FULLY intended!!! OMGoodness I wished I had more of these as they are sooo good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment