Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Rice Remake: 6 INGREDIENT Rice Pudding

I had a TON of left over rice, (Which in case you didn't know FREEZES BEAUTIFULLY!!), but I really wanted some Rice pudding, but most pudding recipes start with uncooked rice...So I tinkered with a couple recipes and enter in:

 "6 Ingredient RICE PUDDING... MotherHOOD  style!!"

 
My Family Just loves this custardy-eggy vanilla infused pudding,my daughter LOVES hers with raisins, 
but is allergic to cinnamon, 
my hubby is a purest no raisins but LOVES cinnamon,
my son LOVES nutmeg, and I really don't care- sometimes 
I will soak the raisins I use in rum and 
call it drunk raisin pudding 
for ADULTS ONLY of course.... 

soooo how to please so many palates and allergies?? 


I make one big batch and before I bake them I place them in smaller ramekins or other oven-proof glass jars and individualize each bowl to family's personal tastes. 

One thing is for sure, the vanilla bean is the KEY! There is no comparison to taste
you can of course omit it if you don't have any in your pantry storage, 
I encourage you to get some if you can, here is a source I use.
 

Amazing 6 INGREDIENT Rice Pudding with COOKED rice
  • 1 C-COOKED RICE
  • 2 C WHOLE MILK
  • 2 EXTRA LARGE EGGS
  • 1 teaspoon VANILLA
  • 1/2 *VANILLA SUGAR OR REGULAR SUGAR
  • 1 VANILLA BEAN POD
  •  OPTIONAL STIR-INS:
  • SPICES AS DESIRED, CAN ADD: FRESH GRATED NUT MEG, CINNAMON, ALLSPICE, GINGER GROUND CARDAMON, GROUND CLOVES...
  • CAN ADD: DRIED RAISINS (TRY SOAKING IN A WEE BIT OF RUM FOR 10 MIN PRIOR FOR AN ADULT TREAT!!, CRANBERRIES, OR CRAISINS)
-----------------------------
  1. IN HEAVY SAUCE PAN GENTLY HEAT MILK AND RICE, STIRRING CONSTANTLY- DON'T LET MILK GET TOO HOT OR WILL SCORCH IN PAN
  2. SLICE DOWN CENTER OF VANILLA BEAN POD LEAVE END INTACT AND USE DULL END OF KNIFE TO SCRAPE OUT THE "SEEDS" (BLACK SPECKS, LOOKS LIKE DIRT DON'T BE SKEERED- IS DELISH!!) AND PLACE PODS, SEEDS AND ALL IN HEAVY SAUCE PAN
  3. SIMMER OVER LOW HEAT FOR ABOUT 10-15 MIN FOR VANILLA TO INFUSE THE MILK
  4. WHISK EGGS UNTIL COMBINED  THEN ADD VANILLA SUGAR AND VANILLA EXTRACT IN A MEDIUM HEAT PROOF BOWL
  5. *Remove the vanilla bean pod from milk mixture-don't discard!! place on paper towel and allow to dry overnight
  6. SLOWLY WHISK IN SMALL AMOUNTS (I USE A LADLE) OF MILK MIXTURE INTO EGG MIXTURE, THIS IS CALLED "TEMPERING THE EGGS" THIS IS IMPORTANT SO YOU DON'T GET SCRAMBLED EGGS! 
  7. I SLOWLY ADD MILK TO EGG MIXTURE UNTIL EGGS ARE SAME TEMPERATURE OF MILK, THEN ADD EGG MIXTURE TO REMAINING MILK MIXTURE AND COOK A FEW MINUTES MORE, CONSTANTLY STIRRING
  8. POUR PUDDING INTO 4-6 INDIVIDUAL RAMEKINS (DEPENDING ON SIZE OF RAMEKINS)
  9. THIS WOULD BE THE TIME TO ADD IN ANY STIR-INS YOU DESIRE, I DO THIS ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, BECAUSE WHAT I MENTIONED ABOVE
  10. PLACE SMALL RAMEKINS IN LARGE PAN (I USE A 9"X13" PAN) AND POUR ENOUGH WATER TO COME HALF WAY UP ON RAMEKINS
  11. BAKE FOR 20 MINUTES UNTIL PUDDING IS SET AND CREAMY, IF NOT "PUDDING IN TEXTURE" MORE SOUPY, LET BAKE A LITTLE LONGER.

ALLOW TO COOK SLIGHTLY AND SERVE WARM, OR COOL TO ROOM TEMP AND PLACE IN REFRIGERATOR. 

 MY FAMILY LOVES THIS COLD TOO...
JUST BE SURE TO EAT WITHIN 3 DAYS...AS IF YOU WOULD HAVE ANY LEFT OVER, LOL!!


*Vanilla sugar: DON"T DISCARD SPENT VANILLA POD!!  After you used Vanilla Bean pod in your rice pudding recipe, allow it to dry overnight. Then place pod in sealed canister you hold your sugar in. Will flavor the sugar, and give you vanilla sugar. 

Picture Credit
 Vanilla Beans are an expensive ingredient, good to know that it can do double duty as vanilla flavoring plus become vanilla sugar which is also an expensive ingredient to purchase on it's own.  


 NEVER throw the pods away, keep placing the spent pods in the sugar canister. Keeps indefinitely or close to it if your canister has a TIGHT seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment