During a "Pantry Challenge Menu Week", I came up with this easy version of Pasta Carbonara. I built my sauce around 2 cans of diced tomatoes but I didn't have any bacon or any garlic cloves on hand but I always have bacon drippings & Garlic infused EVOO fridge so I went from there...
The family loved this so much my hubby had 3rds BOTH of my children had seconds and my hubby begged me to take the left-overs to work the next day. I knew this was a keeper and thought you might enjoy this quick and easy sauce that is super delicious!!!
SUNDRIED TOMATOES, CRIMINI MUSHROOMS
AND CAPER PASTA CARBONARA
2- 15 oz cans diced tomatoes- Keep LIQUID!
1 oz capers
2T bacon Drippings (or 3 bacon slices crisped)
1T Garlic infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Or 2 garlic cloves, minced)
1 Small Onion, Diced
8 oz Crimini Mushrooms, Sliced
2-4 oz Sun Dried Tomatoes Packed in Olive Oil, Julienned
2 t dried Basil
Hickory Smoked Salt or Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper Corns to taste
Pinch of Baking Soda
Pinch of Brown Sugar
1 lb Capelini Pasta or other thin Spaghetti type pasta, cooked al` dente'
1/4 C Heavy Cream-Optional
- Heat medium sauce pan over medium heat and add bacon drippings and Garlic Infused EVOO (I keep these in fridge so I add long enough to melt them and get it nice & hot but not smoking)
- Add Diced Onions and Slice Mushrooms
- Cook until Onions are translucent and Mushrooms are half their size. About 5-10 minutes
- Open cans of diced tomatoes, add entire cans, liquid and all.
- Slightly "mash" up tomatoes with potato masher to break down tomatoes faster.
- Add rest of ingredients up to heavy cream
- Cook until slight sauce starts to slightly boil. Reduce to heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes until reduced nearly by half
- Right before serving add 1/4 C heavy Cream and stir to combine.