Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

RECIPE WED: Sun Dried Tomatoes, Crimini Mushrooms & Capers Carbonara w/ Capelini Pasta

During a "Pantry Challenge Menu Week", I  came up with this easy version of Pasta Carbonara. I built my sauce around 2 cans of diced tomatoes but I didn't have any bacon or any garlic cloves on hand but I always have bacon drippings & Garlic infused EVOO fridge so I went from there...

The family loved this so much my hubby had 3rds BOTH of my children had seconds and my hubby begged me to take the left-overs to work the next day. I knew this was a keeper and thought you might enjoy this quick and easy sauce that is super delicious!!!





SUNDRIED TOMATOES, CRIMINI MUSHROOMS 
AND CAPER PASTA CARBONARA
 

2- 15 oz cans diced tomatoes- Keep LIQUID!
1 oz capers
2T bacon Drippings (or 3 bacon slices crisped)
1T Garlic infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Or 2 garlic cloves, minced)
1 Small Onion, Diced
8 oz Crimini Mushrooms, Sliced
2-4 oz Sun Dried Tomatoes Packed in Olive Oil, Julienned
2 t dried Basil
Hickory Smoked Salt or Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper Corns to taste
Pinch of Baking Soda
Pinch of Brown Sugar
1 lb Capelini Pasta or other thin Spaghetti type pasta, cooked al` dente'
1/4 C Heavy Cream-Optional
 ---------------------------
  1. Heat medium sauce pan over medium heat and add bacon drippings and Garlic Infused EVOO (I keep these in fridge so I add long enough to melt them and get it nice & hot but not smoking)
  2. Add Diced Onions and Slice Mushrooms
  3. Cook until Onions are translucent and Mushrooms are half their size. About 5-10 minutes
  4. Open cans of diced tomatoes, add entire cans, liquid and all. 
  5. Slightly "mash" up tomatoes with potato masher to break down tomatoes faster.
  6. Add rest of ingredients up to heavy cream
  7. Cook until slight sauce starts to slightly boil. Reduce to heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes until reduced nearly by half 
  8. Right before serving add 1/4 C heavy Cream and stir to combine. 
 
Such an easy recipe that makes a quick and tasty meal that won't weigh you down.  






Pair it with a mixed green salad, & warm artisan hand shaped bread along with herb infused dipping grape seed oil and you have a dinner everyone will come to table for!!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment