Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

RECIPE WED # 17: Romanian Grilled Minced Meat Rolls (MICI)

I love these, but since I did not grow up on the taste of them I have taken some liberties with the recipe and this is not as authentic as it once was, I will include the original recipe with my substitutions...

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 8 ounces chopped suet (don't really have that lying around, so I added 1/2 gr pork)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds ground toasted cumin seeds (Not a fan of caraway seeds, so cumin is close in taste just smokier in flavor)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon finely ground juniper berries
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 t water Gin  (juniper berries {jb}, are what makes gin, so I substitute berries and water for for Gin- I just know that jb would go to waste in my pantry- could also substitute rosemary spring or ground bay leaf)
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil-(Used xtra virgin olive oil)
  • 2 tablespoons beef broth stock

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, suet (gr. pork), baking soda, caraway seeds (Cumin), garlic, salt, pepper and juniper berries , using your hands. Mix with your hands for about 15 minutes until mixed will get tough if over mix, adding a little bit of the water gin at a time. This part can be made a few hours ahead of time if you like, giving the flavors a chance to mellow.
  2. Preheat a grill for high heat. With wet hands form the meat into rolls about 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. Brush lightly with oil.
  3. Grill the meat for 5 to 10 minutes, basting frequently with a mixture of beef broth and any remaining oil, until well done.
  4. I will pan fry or roast in 350 oven basting (every 10 min or so) until well done or if roasting will place in a foil tent with beef stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment