Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

Thrify Menu for Oct 22-28,2012

I am still trying to live as frugally as possibly yet satisfy my hungry hard working hubby who wants large portions of stick to your ribs comfort food and my finicky preschooler and toddler. There are days I just throw my hands in the air and the kids eat cereal for supper. I am done with battling over dinner and for a week straight my daughter spent the first 20 min of dinner in time out bc of the crazy fits she would throw over dinner.

This is the expression! Photo credits
 I remember my mom making dinner every night after working hard as a book keeper,  yet every night we had full meals with veggies, salads, meat, and some starch.  

Yet, as hard as she worked I was the kid who would snub my nose at times at her hard work, I spent lots of time in the corner and staying late at the table with a "mountain" (In my child's mind) of some offensive veggie, bean, or main dish I had "Yucked"....

And now I get the great experience of the finicky palate of my children, 
ei yie yie!!! 

Last week the best "New" recipe was Coconut Chicken, 
it was soo good my hubby took the left overs to work so that was
 "winner, winner, coconut Chicken" dinner, 
actually this week we had no fits at dinner, some gagging, retching  and whinnying but no fits and each child tried a bite of each food even if they didn't eat it all. That is all I want, even if they don't like it, 
some healthy foods aren't going to be a "party in your mouth" &  your tastes change as your palate develops so I have a a "3-bite rule".

The Frugal portion of my menu continues from last week's Beef goulash that I turned into soup on Sunday with some veggies that were on the last leg of freshness in the fridge and some in the freezer, this meal was nearly FREE! Yipppe!!!  The soup made such large portions we have enough for an "encore" meal, the left over tomato puree will be frozen for a later day and a lot of the meals (Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner) will be pulled from my freezer stash.

Breakfast Choices:
Toasted Cinnamon Bagel w/Homemade Strawberry Cream Cheese Spread, Homemade Pastry Pockets (like Poptarts), Sausage Egg and Cheese Burritos, Cereal, Toast, Waffles with Choice of toppings (Blue Berry, Black Berry, or Raspberry Jam), Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes, Keifer, Smoothies, Yogurt Parfaits, & Fruit.

Lunch Selections:
Buttered Noodles with Parmesan Cheese, Garlic, and Parsley, Grilled Cheese, Ham & Cheese Hot Pockets, Zucchini Patties w/Hummus-Mayo Topping, Chicken Nuggets w/Homemade Honey Mustard, carrot sticks &  Dippings, Triscuits, Cottage Cheese, Applesauce, Cheese wedges, Fruit, Raisons and almonds, Personal Pizzas with English Muffins, PB&J sandwiches, Chicken Noodle Soup, baked potatoes.

Snacks Options:
Cottage Cheese, Cheese Wedges w/pepperoni, club crackers, mozzarella sprinkles, pickles, applesauce, yogurt, Veggie & fruit juice smoothies with Kiefer, fruit, triscuits, carrots, humus dippings,  Treat & Trail Goodies (1/DAY), almonds w/raisins and m&m's, Milk and peanutbutter crackers, cereal, Cheddar Crackers, Animal Crackers, Fruit.

Supper:

Monday:
Barb-b-q Pork, Sweet Potato Fries, & Steamed Broccoli

Tuesday:
Encore Beefy Vegtable Soup, Salad, and fruit Cup

Wed:
This is Ree Drummond's pic, looks closest to mine- only this is MY recipe I am posting!
Carnitas w/homemade tomatillos salsa (Salsa Verde) & yellow Rice

Thursday:
Chicken Scalapini w/Angel hair Pasta

Photo Credit
Friday:
Salisbury Steak Patties w/ Mashed Potatoes, salad, and buttered Corn Nibblets 

Saturday:
Orange Chicken and Brown Rice with Mixed Stir Fried Veggies

Sunday:
Baked Ziti with Salad and Fresh Garlic Bread      



No comments:

Post a Comment