Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

You dont NEED No Stinkin' Specialty Pan!....MYO Cake Pops!

 Every time I see these SILLY little small appliances or specialty cake pans JUST to make "baby" cake pops or truffles I just crack up!
Like I need another specialty item to sit around my limited space kitchen to use occasionally (Such as the sandwich maker, hot drink maker, or blizzard maker I HAD to have, LOL!!).  
You DON'T need this! Save your MONEY and follow my instructions below to make PERFECT cake pops EVERY TIME!!
I could see that pan/appliance having an advantage by helping to make them more uniform and smooth, but so does time and practice. And after making just one batch = 50 of them u have loads of practice and are practically are a pro cake pop maker! 

Plus the recipe I use you put the icing into the cake and that my friend makes the most moist & delicious cake pop, the small pan/appliance would make it quite easy to over-bake and make dry cake pops/truffels.

These instructions do seem quite involved and I won't lie to you they are a bit time consuming, but honestly I find it relaxing, I LOVE the results, ppl LOVE to eat them and if you break it down into steps~ even days (Which I often do) it is not so overwhelming.

Bakerellas Pic

Cake Pops 
{This is basically Bakerella's directions, I added my tips to it that make it easier for me to achieve my desired results, here is the link to her site if you would like to compare and see what works best for you!}
  • 1 box{red velvet~ my favorite!} cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
  • 1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
  • 2- 16 oz Microwavable Coatings discs or Ganache
  • Med sized  Bowl with deep well
  • 6" Lollipop sticks, get at least a packet of 50
  • Box with pre-designated holes or Styrofoam {Foam is EASIEST!}

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble directly in pan {Recruit kids, they LOVE this part!!
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy. I use gloves, the red stains so less mess for me!)
3. Put on nice fitting gloves (if you have them) and roll mixture into quarter size balls. Lay on cookie sheet. Or After rolling balls insert lollipop sticks into balls and place in fridge.
(Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them, the gloves help keeping them from "melting" from the heat of your hands & keep the mess away. Wet your hand slightly while rolling the balls to make extra smooth, I don't bother with this but if you   are this helps!)
4. Chill for several hours. You can speed this up by putting them in the freezer- (I freeze overnight if time allows, I don't use the shoe box w/holes sliced in bc it doesn't fit in my freezer so I just place on cookie sheet, then reshape {as they might have a "flat" bottom"} and insert lollipop sticks a few at a time, then proceed with directions)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Reshape balls if cake pops are flat on bottom and insert lollipop sticks. Only take out 6 or so pops at a time, as the pops warm them may fall off of the stick when dipping into chocolate.
(Also allow coating to cool slightly as well b4 dipping as this  might cause pops to fall of of stick  but  too cool and it will get "goopy". Dip pops into coating holding on to stick (twirl & gently tap off extra.)
8. GENTLY place into pre-designated holes in holder of choice
(I use a shoe box with pre-cut holes and use this every time I make them. I don't like the idea of using Styrofoam, bc of the non-biodegradable quality, but I do think it would help them to stay UPRIGHT. It gets frustrating when the pops bump into each other, so I might get some and know I am using it over and over and not feel so guilty about it. Or make the holes smaller so the tight fit will help? )
9. Allow to harden in Fridge or Freezer
10. Place in display/holder of choice....if lacking ideas check out my post on that here.

Cake pops from my daughter's Pony Party

I have made this loads of times, it is easiest dipping with the coating discs but tastes soo much richer and 100 times more decadent by making ganache and dipping the cake pops in that awesome treat!

For display ideas and a tutorial on how I made these FREE and super cute cake pop display/holders, click here!

Linked to 733 blog , Nap Time Crafters Linky party,

No comments:

Post a Comment