A perfect warm up dinner in the winter time!!
This is a dish my momma
would make often!!
We loved it, she would change it up with what was available in the garden, grocery store, or even fridge.
Kinda like a Shepperd's pie.
My momma never called it "Bubbles and Squeak"
but as I grew up I realized it wasn't just a "made up dish" it actually had a name...
|Isn't this head of cabbage lovely?! This pic is from this blog.|
BUBBLES AND SQUEAK-'HOOD STYLE!
- 1 head of cabbage shredded
- 3-4 pieces of bacon crisped and drippings saved
- Additional bacon drippings if have or neutral tasting high temp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 C left over mashed potatoes, or 5-6 potatoes mashed with milk and butter, but make it drier than you normally would and place in the fridge to make colder.
- 3-T Sour Cream
- 3-T smoked paprika
- 1-T ground mustard seed or prepared mustard
- Kosher Salt & Fresh ground pepper
|Looks like mine, but pic is not mine|
- Crisp bacon & onion in large chicken frying pan, remove bacon and onions with a slotted spoon, & set aside leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Add the cabbage in batches if won't all fit, will cook down soon.
- Mix sour cream, paprika, s & p, w/mashed potatoes
- When cabbage is cooked down, and fragrant add in mashed potatoes and bacon/onion mixture.
- Make sure the surface is well oiled if using a pan that does NOT have non-stick coating, which I DO NOT USE!!
- Slightly pat down with a spatula to resemble a "frittata/Mashed potato Pancake" of sorts.
- Allow to crisp and crust on the bottom if you cannot turn without sticking and tearing, it does not have enough of a crust.
- Flip and brown on the other side...
I like to make a "sauce" by:
- thinning sour cream with a bit of milk,
- Add salt & fresh cracked pepper,
- A pinch of sugar,
- Palmful of smoked paprika,
- And finish with a sprinkle of parsley.
- Mix together in a small bowl before you make the "Bubbles & Squeak" and place in fridge to allow flavors to meld (About 20-30 min)