Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Recipe Wednesday #1: Decadant Chicken Keive

 I have been randoming posting recipes as I am make them or discover them, I am attempting to become a more purposeful person and in that vein I hope to post with more purpose. SO I am going to dedicate Wednesdays to Recipes, new to me, tried and true kid tested family approved, ones I LOVE and ones that are potluck favorites...

WELCOME TO THE FIRST INSTALLMENT 
OF RECIPE WEDNESDAY:
 

Decadant Chicken Keive

This is such an awesome RECIPE!

 I found it one night on a quest for to make something " NEW"with chicken breasts.


I had forgotten about this old Russian-English classic...
 I have since tweaked it and made it

 even richer and tastier than 
the original recipe

Serve with mashed potato & cauliflower puree like pictured here
A great time saving tip: Make double or triple of this recipe and freeze for nights when you want the flavor without the steps.




This is such a time saver and allows me freedom to take the time and do the small steps when I have time then reap the rewards of my labor later when I don't have time!

Makes me think I am at at fancy restaurant being wined and dined by my hubby while Pavarotti sings in the back ground... ERRRRRR! Then reality hits me! LOL!

AT least I still can  
eat like I am dining OUT while I save dining in
  
Decadent Chicken Kiev
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 (7 ounce) package garlic cheese spread or *make your own easily, like I do and you get 1 oz more and half the price!
  • Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper

---------------------------------------

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Pound chicken breasts until thinned out, but not tearing flesh, and season both sides of breasts w/S & P.
  3.  Place a dollop of cheese spread at one end of each chicken breast, on the side of the breast not dipped in the mixture.
  4. Roll up each breast and secure with toothpicks.  
  5. In shallow dish or bowl mix together panko bread crumbs and cheese w/some S & P to taste & in another bowl have melted butter ready for dipping.
  6. Dip one side of each breast into melted butter or margarine, then into crumb/cheese mixture.
  7. Pour EVOO in a large skillet to cover bottom and sear each breast to get crunchy, NOT cooking all the way through, finish in oven (You could FREEZE the breasts at this point the then upon thawing finish in oven as described below)
  8. Place roll-ups in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and drizzle any remaining butter or EVOO over all. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cooked through and juices run clear. 
I prefer to make my OWN garlic Cheese Spread for the filling, but you can use the Kraft garlic cream cheese spread.

In traditional Kiev recipes you use butter, but I upped the ante by using cream cheese, if you want to save calories & still have that richer filling 
use Neufchate (is called farmer's cheese is some parts of the country)& is 33% lower fat than traditional cream cheese.

* MYO Garlic Cheese Spread




  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened (or can use 4 ounces Butter, but Cream Cheese is so much nicer!!)
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO
  • 3 tablespoons grated FRESH Parmesan cheese- (mean NOT from a can!!)
  • 2 tablespoons minced green onion or if ur lucky and have a CSA like I do use red shallots!
  • 1-2 garlic clove, minced/grated or 1-2 t granulated garlic
  • 1 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

  • ----------------------------------------------
    1. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and oil until fluffy. 
    2. Add the Parmesan cheese, onion, garlic and pepper; beat until well blended.  
    3. Lay out a piece of wax paper.  
    4. Shape the cream cheese or butter mixture into a 3 inch square.   
    5. Wrap up and freeze until firm.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment