Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2012

FRUGAL FRIDAYS: CUSTOMIZED LIQUID FABRIC SOFTENER THAT REALLY WORKS!!

With all the homemade cleaning, beauty and laundry aids I have been trying one of the last formulas 
FOR ME to experiment with has been fabric softener. 

I haven't been so thrilled with all formulas I have tried and seen online, this formula I found on Hidden Treasures Blog & I have really liked. Her basic formula I have only tweaked the amount of E.O. (Essential Oil), I added more than original formula called for :
  • To get a more fragrance and fresh aroma on the laundry bc Vinegar tends to negate all aromas
  • I LOVE the slight sent of the laundry THE EO BLEND BRINGS!
  • I USE the same EO blend for ALL my scented body products: body oil, body powder, deodorant, scented solid parfume, lotion, and body spray. 
  • You could do the same, customize EO BLEND FOR your clothes to match your signature EO Blend!
The E.O is a nice addition bc nearly ALL E.O have a natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, &  anti-microbial quality, albeit different properties and strengths, STILL VERY good to have with kids!!
Pic from this site

Homemade Fabric Softener
 8 cups white vinegar
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 cup baking soda
Essentials oils of your choice (like lavender, lemon, orange...)

Directions:
  1. In a big bucket (this will be fizzy) mix vinegar and water. 
  2. Slowly add baking soda; stirring constantly. 
  3. Use a funnel to pour this mixture into a gallon size container. 
  4. Allow for natural gasses to dissipate from the vinegar and baking soda combination- I have let this sit overnight before adding the EO.
  5. Add 1-2 ML of Essential Oil of choice -{about 25-50 drops & I chose Patchouli & Lavender w/a smidgen of Sandalwood} [I wanted a STRONG scented softener, so I added more than the original formula (1/3 tsp- what is that anyways??) ]
  6. Pour into a LABELED gallon container

Add about a half a cup to a whole cup to the fabric softener dispenser depending on the size and content of your load. I use the softener ball and add enough to fill ball 3/4 full.

Adding Essential oil to the fabric softener will help kill 
bacteria, mold, and viruses, 
so added bonus to the softening benefits of vinegar and backing soda!

No comments:

Post a Comment