Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

RECIPE WED #3: Amazing Fluffy Faux Butter Milk Pancakes

I don't know about your kids, but mine could eat pancakes (or as my 4 year old has called them since 2 years of age "Panytakes") morning, noon, and night! As a matter of fact when we go to our favorite restaurant the waitresses know my kids as "The Pancake Kids", b/c they will get 3 orders each (that is 9 pancakes) and they will eat nearly every single pancake!!
I have tackled many complicated dishes like Bouillabaisse,
Braciole, Beef Wellington, Greek Stuffed Chicken...all those dishes have multiple and involved steps and I haven't shied away from them and yet.....

 When it comes to pancakes I always think:



"Ughh, too many steps! 
I don't feel like standing there and flipping pancakes while the family eats them up 
before I get a chance to even eat one!"

In response to that I came up with some ideas to help remedy those situations + one  phenomenal pancake recipe! 

First the recipe I came up:  My kids LOVE fluffy pancakes, so I knew I had to come with a buttermilk recipe with some baking powder and soda to achieve that fluffy texture. 

This makes a recipe makes a TON! 

Like 48 regular sized smallish pancakes or 18-20 rather large lumber jack sized ones! 

I made all lumberjack sized pancakes- of the batch 1/2 Blueberry Vanilla

Amazing Fluffy Faux Butter Milk Pancakes

  • 5- 1/4 C of buttermilk-- Or-- 
  • 4-1/2 cups milk & 3/4 cup white vinegar or 1/2 C fresh lemon juice
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 6 egg
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
  • Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO)- as needed
  • OPTIONAL: 1-2T Vanilla Extract (or extract of choice) - depending on taste
  • OPTIONAL: Fresh blue berries, cranberries, chocolate or other flavored chips, banana slices...-whatever your tastes bud cry out for!! :-)
----------------------------------------
These blueberry Lumberjack sized  pancakes are nearly ready to turn
  1. If you do not have butter milk -combine milk with vinegar (or lemon juice) in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
  2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. 
  3. Whisk eggs, vanilla, and butter into "soured" milk. (I use a HUGE 6 QT storage container)
  4. Pour the sifted flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir with large wooden paddle until lumps are gone.
  5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and drop tablespoon or so of EVCO . 
  6. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter or I use a ladle to pour onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. 
  7. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side. 

 ON to my remedies to standing there flipping 'cakes while the family devours what I have just made and eating alone surrounded by a pile of dirty dishes. 

I made about  25 pancakes, I made them so large kids ate 1 each and hubby ate 2 with the rest of pancakes and batter I:
  • Packaged the pancakes up in wax paper sheets and placed in a freezer storage bag and LABELED with date and contents!! 
  •  Remaining batter I poured into a clean upcycled ketchup bottle & placed in the refrigerator to have on moments notice.
  • This will allow me to have the convenience of a "shake and pour" item yet with a more frugal and fresher option. 
  • Just squeeze desired amount on to a prepared griddle or skillet 
  • I will use this batter by week's end, probably tomorrow. 
  • With fresh eggs in the batter I wouldn't keep batter longer than 1 week!

Having freshly made frozen pancakes 
WITHOUT preservatives from the freezer ready to eat is so much healthier then consuming store bought, a huge time saver, and cheaper than eating out. 

If I want to make them fresh 
I can just shake, then squeeze from my bottle,& whip out a small batch for the kids in the morning even if it is just one
and not feel like a short order cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment